Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: Under 1 hour
Since 1922, the fine cuisine of Le Café Henry Burger has made it the gourmet rendezvous of diplomats, politicians, artists and connoisseurs. I was enchanted by the charm of this old house, with its navy blue and gold sign glimmering in the late morning sunlight. With the fall leaves providing a welcome mat, I opened the door gently, as if arriving at my grandmother's house for lunch. How beautiful and full of sensual delights this restaurant is!
Even at lunchtime, no detail is overlooked - the tables are set with starched tablecloths and fine china. This is a treasured institution, one of the Outaouais region's finest addresses.
Robert Bourassa, the chef-owner, comes from a family with more than 125 years experience in fine food. He shares with us a fabulous first course that will delight your guests.
- Wash and peel the shrimp, leaving the tails on; make a cut along the back and devein.
- Wash and remove the small muscles from the scallops.
- Quarter the Roma tomatoes lengthwise; place on a baking sheet, skin side down, season and roast in a 160° C (325° F) oven for 20 minutes.
- Blanch the mini corn in salted water for 5 minutes; drain and refresh in ice water.
Making the broth
- Coarsely chop the onion, garlic and the two ripe tomatoes and sweat in a skillet in a generous spoonful of butter.
- Add the white wine and cook until the liquid has evaporated; add the stock and simmer for 30 minutes. A few minutes before the end of the cooking time, add a few sprigs of cilantro to lightly flavour the broth.
- Season the broth, strain and set aside.
A few minutes before serving
- Cook the angel hair in plenty of boiling salted water.
- Season the shrimps and scallops; sauté them over high heat, being careful not to overcook; set aside.
- Bring the broth to the boiling point over high heat; whisk in the butter.
- Sauté the drained angel hair in butter for a few moments.
- Divide the angel hair among 6 deep serving plates.
- Arrange 3 shrimps and 3 scallops on each plate.
- Reheat the mini corn and the roast tomatoes in the oven for a few minutes and arrange them between the shrimps and scallops.
- Ladle the broth overtop and sprinkle with coarsely chopped cilantro. Garnish with a few sprigs of fresh herbs.
Hints & Tips