Prep. time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes per kg
An original recipe from Maria Lourdes Santos of the Restaurant Beira Mar in Cascais
The animal can be cut up or cooked whole. In the latter case, the offal is left in the carcass while cooking and then served separately.
The head is cut in half lengthwise to remove the brains with a spoon.
Serve with lemon wedges.
There are other versions in which the butter is replaced with olive oil and the white wine with red. Fans of baked potatoes can slide them into the oven at the same time as the kid.
- Crush the garlic cloves in a mortar with the peppercorns and bay leaf;
- add the salt, butter or lard; rub the kid with this mixture;
- place the kid in the center of a large ovenproof dish; place all the ingredients around, except the second 200 ml of wine;
- place in a medium oven and cook until done, basting often; turn halfway through;
- remove from the oven; degrease the juice and remove the meat bones;
- add the final 200 ml white wine and reduce by half; serve the sauce on the side.
Hints & Tips