Prep. time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Colombo is a spice blend that includes coriander, turmeric, cumin, mustard, cloves, fenugreek and pepper. It is available ground, as well as in paste form.
- Combine the meats, salt and pepper, then mix in the colombo powder, half the chopped parsley, the chopped onion and garlic, bread crumbs and beaten egg.
- Mix well, then form into balls and roll in flour. Set aside.
- Cook the shallots in the oil for two minutes until soft.
- Add the finely chopped celery and pepper, then the cubed sweet potato. Cook for two minutes longer, then add the peeled tomatoes and sugar.
- Brown the meatballs in olive oil, then add them to the sweet potato fricassee. Continue cooking for 20 minutes over low heat.
- Correct the seasoning as needed. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
Serve the Creole meatball fricassee sprinkled with the remaining parsley, accompanied by rice.
Photo and collaboration: CIV
Hints & Tips