Refrigeration time: 2 hours
An original idea from Bernard Guillot, Chef des Cuisines of the Hotel da Lapa in Lisbon
*The praline paste is available in some specialty groceries or pastry shops.
Making the croquant
- in a ring mold 6 cm (2 1/2”) in diameter and 3.5 cm (1 1/2”) high, place a base of rice krispies that you have caramelized in the oven with a little sugar;
- in a saucepan, cook 75 g (6 tbsp.) sugar with a little water until a thermometer shows 118° C (245° F); remove from the heat; add the two egg yolks and whisk until completely cooled;
- add the chocolate and 50 g of praline paste; mix well;
- in a bowl, whip the heavy cream until it holds peaks; fold into the chocolate mixture;
- fill the ring mold with this mixture; refrigerate for 2 hours;
- to serve, unmold the mousse by holding a hot kitchen towel around the mold.
- in a saucepan, cook 250 g (1 1/4 cup) sugar until it turns caramel-colored;
- add the light cream and the remaining 50 g of praline paste;
- let cool; garnish with toasted caramelized hazelnuts.
If you don’t have ring molds, use a small can with both ends removed.
Hints & Tips