Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 1 hour including 40 minutes for the rice
Eats like a meaty burger, but it’s not. This vegetarian burger blends black rice, mushrooms and eggplant to replicate a meaty texture which, when combined with the other ingredients, creates an incredible depth of flavour. This is a must-make recipe!
(1) No balsamic glaze? Easy! Reduce 6 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar on low heat to obtain 3 Tbsp. balsamic glaze.
- Rinse rice.
- In a small saucepan, combine rice, 2 cups water, dried mushrooms, salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce to simmer for 30-40 minutes until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, chop eggplant into large chunks and pulse in a food processor to the size of peas. Dry sauté eggplant with paprika and chili flakes over medium-high heat in a large non-stick pan until tender; about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Place hot rice/mushroom mixture into a food processor and pulse 5-7 times.
- Remove half of mixture into eggplant bowl. Add cubed halloumi to remaining half of rice/mushroom mixture and pulse about 4 times or until cheese is pea sized. Scrape into eggplant bowl; stir in soy sauce and rice flour until well combined.
- Form into 6 equal sized patties.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook patties in 2 batches with 2 tsp olive oil until golden brown. Serve with balsamic onions and suggested garnishes.
For balsamic onions
- Cook onions and balsamic glaze in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until tender and caramelized.
530 calories, 20 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 60 mg cholesterol, 1190 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrates, 6 g fibre, 10 g sugars, 20 g protein. % DV: 21% calcium, 17% iron, 1% vitamin A, 6% vitamin C.
Hints & Tips