Blanquette of Farm-Raised Veal Fernande Allard Recipe
Flavors of Paris and the Ile-de-France
Total time: more than 2 hours
Cooking time: a little over 2 hours
- 1.2 kg farm-raised veal shoulder
- 100 g butter
- 4 carrots
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 cloves
- 1 bouquet garni
- salt and pepper
- 30 g flour
- 100 g thick crème fraîche
- 1/2 lemon
- 200 g white rice
- 1 white onion
- 450 ml white stock
- 70 ml olive oil
- 6 young carrots
- 6 baby leeks
- 300 g "nail head" girolles
- 12 spears of green asparagus
- 2 shallots
- 80 g butter
- salt and pepper
- Cut the meat into even 50 g pieces.
- Melt 50 g butter in a large Dutch oven. Sauté the meat very lightly on all sides without browning. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the carrots which have been cut into short lengths and the onions in wedges (one stuck with the cloves and bouquet garni). Add cold water just to cover, then simmer for 2 hours.
- Then melt the remaining butter in another pan over low heat without browning. Whisk in the flour until the mixture foams slightly.
- Add about 500 ml of the veal cooking broth which you have reduced by a quarter to strengthen the flavor. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat, add the cream and juice of half a lemon and finish by correcting the seasoning. Set the sauce aside.
- Peel and wash the carrots and leeks. Cook the leeks and asparagus in boiling salted water and refresh quickly in ice water. Set aside.
- Steam the carrots and set aside.
- Scrape the stems of the girolles and wash in several changes of water to gradually remove any impurities. In a sauté pan, sauté the girolles in foaming butter with the chopped shallots. Cover and cook for a few minutes. Season.
- At the end of the cooking time, add the carrots and leeks and combine everything with 50 ml veal cooking broth.
- In a saucepan, sauté the chopped white onion in a little olive oil; add the white rice and stir until pearly, then add the white stock (1 1/2 times the volume of rice). Cook covered in a 170° C oven for 17 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let rest 10 minutes and fluff with a fork.
- Heat the veal pieces in a little cooking broth. Once they are hot, drain them well and place in little cast iron casseroles and top with the sauce.
- Arrange the carrots, leeks, asparagus and girolles on top. Serve the rice on the side.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips