Less than 30 minutes
(Croquetas de queso azul)
Region : Asturias, Castile-leon
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add the flour and mix well during 5 minutes to make sure that the flour is properly cooked. Pour in the milk stirring all the time until the sauce thickens.
- Add the blue cheese, mix well and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Place this mixture in a plastic container, cover and let it cool completely.
- To make the croquettes, take a spoonful of the thick béchamel and shape it into a small cylinder. Repeat until you finish with all the béchamel paste.
- Flour the croquettes, dip them in the egg and finally into the breadcrumbs, pressing carefully all round so the croquettes get a good even coating.
- Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan and fry the croquettes in small batches until golden. Place them in a plate with kitchen paper to absorb the excess of oil. Serve them hot.
This excellent blue cheese from León pairs extremely well with the structured and robust red wines from DO Ribera del Duero. Look for either a crianza or a reserva to complement the intense flavors of this delectable tapa.
Energy (kcal): 496
Protein (g): 12.9
Fat (g): 36.9
Carbohydrates (g): 28.1
Fibre (g): 1.0
Vitamin B12 (μg): 0.8
Phosphorus (μg): 245.4
Photo by: Matías Costa / ©ICEX
Hints & Tips