Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
A lovely and delicious pairing of vegetables and cheese.
Hints and tips:
*You can replace the cardoon with Swiss chard or thin slices of fennel.
You can also make a very similar dish using white mushrooms, lightly seasoned with parsley.
- Cut the base off the cardoon, remove the leaves and remove any stringy parts, if necessary. Wash and cut into 4 cm (1 1/2") lengths. Cook for 5 minutes in boiling salted water with a little lemon juice, then drain thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F). Divide the cardoons among 4 little cocottes (small lidded casseroles).
- Cut half the Bresse Bleu cheese into small cubes and sprinkle over the cardoons.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low heat. Crack the eggs into the pan cook for 1 to 2 minutes. The whites should be set, but the yolks almost raw.
- Place the sunny-side-up eggs into the cocottes or ramekins. Top with the sliced remaining cheese, avoiding the yolks. Season with pepper and cover the cocottes with their lids. Cook in the oven for 6 minutes.
Hints & Tips