Little chocolate-vanilla cakes with raspberries Recipe
Flavors of Austria
- Chocolate sponge
- 170 g (6 oz. / 3/4 cup) butter
- 120 g (4 oz. / 1 cup) icing (powdered) sugar
- 7 egg yolks
- 7 egg whites
- 120 g (4 oz. / 1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 170 g (6 oz.) dark chocolate (Suchard Velma)
- 150 g (5 oz. / about 1 1/2 cups) cake flour
- Vanilla cream
- 125 g (4 oz. / 1/2 cup) plain yogurt
- 50 g (2 oz. / 1/2 cup) icing (powdered) sugar
- 3 sheets of gelatine
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) cream, lightly whipped
- Lemon, to taste
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped, or vanilla sugar
- Fresh raspberries
- If desired: Florentine biscuits, for garnish
- Cream together the softened butter and icing sugar. Mix in the egg yolks one at a time.
- Meanwhile, beat together the egg whites and granulated sugar to soft peaks.
- Mix the lukewarm chocolate and flour into the butter mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Spread the batter thinly in a baking sheet and bake in a 180° C (350° F) oven (160° C / 325° F convection oven) for about 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, icing sugar, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Soak the gelatine in cold water; squeeze out well and dissolve in 50 ml (3 tbsp.) hot cream; stir into the yogurt mixture (1).
- Finally, whip the remaining cream and gently fold into the mixture.
- Cut the cake into 5 x 10 cm (2 x 4") pieces.
- Using a pastry pag, pipe a line of vanilla cream onto each rectangle (see photo).
- Place a row of raspberries on the side.
- Decorate with Florentine biscuits, if desired.
More recipe ideas
Tips: Austria cookbook – love menu 11/2006
Hints & Tips