Prep. time: 50 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Serve the liver with sautéed zucchini or a purée of fresh peas.
It’s possible to reduce the cooking time by using veal stock or making the sauce in advance and thickening it only at the last minute.
Preparing the limes and sauce
- Remove the zest from the limes with a vegetable peeler. Cut into julienne strips; blanch in boiling water for 1 minute; refresh in cold water;
- dissolve 3 cubes of sugar in 80 ml (5 tbsp.) water; add the lime zest and simmer for 20 minutes;
- in another saucepan, combine the vinegar with 2 cubes of sugar; let the liquid evaporate; immediately add the chicken stock and reduce by two-thirds;
- combine the cornstarch with the red wine; add to the sauce; add the zest and let thicken, stirring constantly. Whisk in the butter. Correct the seasoning.
Preparing the liver
- Season the slices of liver with salt and pepper; in a skillet, heat the oil and add the liver; cook for about 3 minutes on each side until lightly browned but still pink inside.
- Cut out the lime segments, removing the membrane;
- Place a slice of liver onto each plate; garnish with lime segments; pour on some of the sauce. Serve immediately.
Hints & Tips