Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F.)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
To create the decoration, set aside a little of the icing and add a few drops of food coloring. Pipe out the carrot with a pastry bag: use a round tip for the carrot and a half-shell tip for the stem.
For the icing
I'm not a fan of "light" products. Their flavor and/or texture is often markedly different from the original. But when it comes to cream cheese, several brands offer excellent products where the only big difference is the calorie content. They're worth a try.
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots finely.
- Dissolve the yeast in a little warm water to obtain a light, airy crumb.
- Place the flour, yeast, sugar and eggs in a bowl. Whisk vigorously until smooth.
- Add the oil, carrots and spices. Mix well.
- Coarsely chop the dates; blend them into the batter with the raisins.
- Pour the batter into a non-stick cake pan - if using an ordinary pan, butter and sugar all the surfaces.
- Bake in a 200° C (400° F) oven for 30 minutes. Check for doneness with a skewer or the point of a knife.
- Turn out of the pan onto a rack and let cool.
- Beat the cream cheese until soft and smooth.
- Mix in the icing sugar and vanilla.
Hints & Tips