Prep. time: Under 10 minutes
Cooking time: Very fast (6-8 minutes)
These are traditional Japanese skewers, often served unpretentiously in bars. Yakitori literally means "grilled chicken." Since all the ingredients are cut into small pieces, cooking time is very short. Keep an eye on them, since overcooking will toughen the meat. Sansho and 7-spice mixture are condiments placed on the table so that guests can season their food as they wish. The yakitori can also be served without the spices. A bowl of white rice is served on the side, as well as a small dish into which everyone pours a little sauce. The chicken can also be cooked in a skillet as for Teriyaki, using the same method as for beef.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 20 minutes before using them;
- assemble the brochettes by alternating pieces of chicken with pieces of vegetable or chicken liver;
- brush with yakitori sauce;
- grill for 3 minutes on each side on a barbecue or hibachi or under the broiler;
- brush with sauce before turning.
Hints & Tips