Preparation time: 25 minutes
Freezing time: 2-4 hours
If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can use a food processor. Place the bowl containing the mixture (with the blade) into the freezer. After an hour, return the bowl to the machine and process for 30 seconds. Return to the freezer. Repeat after 30 minutes. Repeat as needed until the ice cream is frozen. This will produce a nice smooth consistency.
- Heat the milk over low heat; add the chopped chocolate and allow to melt.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and light.
- Gradually mix the chocolate-milk mixture into the egg-sugar mixture, stirring briskly.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and let thicken over low heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon - be very careful not to let it reach the boiling point.
- Let cool; mix in the cream.
- Place into an ice cream maker and process. Freeze in the ice cream maker to obtain a firm smooth ice cream.
- Once the ice cream is frozen, remove it from the ice cream maker and place in a mold or into glasses and keep in the freezer until just before serving.
Hints & Tips