“Sweet” or “bell” peppers are members of the Capsicum family, but are distinguished from their chili cousins by their larger size and less aggressive flavor.
Eggplant is always eaten cooked. Choose smaller, more tender ones, that contain fewer seeds.
Preparation (the day before)
- Cut the cod fillet lengthwise into 2 strips, 3 cm (1 1/4”) in diameter.
- Gently place into cold court-bouillon.
- Bring gently to a simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Poach for 10 minutes off the heat. Drain gently. Let cool.
- Wrap the cod carefully in the blanched spinach leaves.
- Cut the zucchini with a mandolin into long strips, 2 mm (1/16”) thick.
- Blanch in salted water. Refresh.
- Peel and halve the peppers.
- Remove the seeds and white parts (keep one whole for the coulis).
- Cut into 5 mm (1/4”) dice.
- Cook in a baking dish at 150° C (300° F) for 30 minutes with a sprig of thyme and a clove of garlic.
- Sweat the chopped shallot and chopped garlic with the diced tomato in olive oil for 4-5 minutes. Add the zucchini, eggplant and peppers cooked in the oven.
- Season with salt, freshly-ground pepper and chopped garlic.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Line the terrine with plastic wrap.
- Line with slices of blanched zucchini.
- Add a 1 cm (3/8”) layer of cold ratatouille and place the cod fillet on top.
- Add the remaining ratatouille. Fold the zucchini slices over top.
- Close up with plastic wrap. Let rest overnight with a small weight on top.
- Cut the eggplants lengthwise once you have removed the two ends.
- Place into a dish. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Place in a 180° C (350° F) oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove the eggplant from the oven.
- Using a fork, mash with a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Sweet pepper coulis
- In a blender, liquefy the red pepper with the olive oil.
- Add the salt, freshly-ground pepper, Tabasco and juice of half a lemon to make the coulis.
- If necessary, thin with a little broth. Strain through a China cap.
- Wash the mesclun and dress with an olive oil-based vinaigrette.
- Onto each plate, place a slice of terrine, a spoonful of eggplant caviar and some mesclun.
- Drizzle a little sweet pepper coulis and some basil oil on each plate.
Hints & Tips