Soaking time: overnight
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, depending on the beans used
Dried beans require about 2 1/2 hours cooking time. If the outer layer is removed, they will require only 8-12 hours soaking and about 1 1/2 hours cooking.
- The night before, place the chick peas and beans into cold water with the baking soda to soak overnight. The next day, rinse and drain.
- Combine the cracked wheat, oil and legumes and add two liters (8 cups) cold water.
- Place the pot on the heat, cover and cook over low heat, adding more water as necessary to maintain the original volume.
- Meanwhile, peel the garlic and mash it with 1/2 tsp. salt. Pick over the cumin seeds and grind them separately.
- Once the soup is smooth and thick, add the harissa, tomato paste and mashed garlic and continue cooking, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- At the end, add the cumin, mix well, correct the seasoning and serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Hints & Tips