Cream of Tomato and Basil Velouté Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Prep. time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Refrigeration time: 2 hours
You can add a few drops of Tabasco to the tomato soup to add a spicier note.
For 4 servings
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 liter (4 cups) chicken stock
- 5 tbsp. tapioca
- 250 ml (1 cup) light cream
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1 tbsp. quick tapioca
- salt and pepper
- 50 g (2 oz.) toasted baguette rounds rubbed with garlic
- 1-2 Tbsp. pesto
- Sweat the leek, garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Liquefy the mixture in a blender with the tomatoes and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the mixture in a saucepan.
- When it comes to a boil, sprinkle in the tapioca and cook for 15 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, bring the cream to a boil. Add the basil and quick tapioca and cook for 2 minutes while stirring with a whisk. Purée until smooth and creamy.
- Chill the 2 mixtures for at least 2 hours.
- Pour the tomato soup into large glasses, cover with basil cream and garnish with fresh basil.
- Serve the soup with garlic croutons spread with pesto.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2023. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips