Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
This cream of cauliflower is velvety and very easy to make. The bacon bits give it additional flavour and texture.
You can replace the bacon with strips of smoked ham.
Use white pepper for this recipe, which is more compatible with the soup's pale colour.
*To avoid having to pour hot liquid from one container to another, we recommend using an electric immersion blender that can be used right in the cooking pot. Otherwise, let the mixture cool slightly before pouring it into the blender container to avoid burning yourself!
A word to those who like their vegetables al dente: to achieve a creamy consistency with this soup, the cauliflower must be well-cooked so that it can be made into a smooth purée.
- Sauté the finely chopped shallot in the butter in a large saucepan without letting it colour; add the milk, season with salt and bring to a boil;
- add the cauliflower florets to the milk; reduce the heat and let simmer over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cauliflower is well cooked;
- meanwhile, place the slices of smoked bacon on a baking sheet; place under the broiler for about 2 minutes or until crisp;
- remove the saucepan from the heat; using an immersion blender, purée the cauliflower until the mixture is smooth; add the pinch of nutmeg;
- thin with a little more milk or cream as necessary to obtain the desired consistency;
- ladle into warm bowls; crumble the bacon over top and serve immediately.
Hints & Tips