Prep. time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
This recipe's little extra:
The beer's bitterness pairs perfectly with the bitterness of the endive.
Add the beer at the last minute and reheat the soup gently.
- Chop the endive and onion.
- Sweat the endive and onion in butter for 5 minutes without letting them color.
- Add the chicken stock and then gently pour in the cream.
- Cook for 1 hour; once the liquid has reduced by half, reduce the heat to low.
- Bring back to the boil. Liquefy everything in a blender and pour through a fine-mesh strainer. Set aside over low heat.
Preparing the garnish
- Cut one endive into small dice.
- Dip the croutons in melted butter and brown them in a skillet.
- Slice the ham into thin strips.
- Generously ladle the soup into individual bowls and carefully arrange some of the garnish on each serving.
- Serve very hot, accompanied by Christmas beer.
Serve the same pale beer that you use in the recipe
Photo and collaboration: VFC and Les Maîtres Brasseurs de France
A recipe from Stéphane Jego, Restaurant L'Ami Jean, 27, rue Mallar - 75007 Paris
Hints & Tips