Prep. time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 12 hours
Cooking time: About 3 hours
This recipe is part of the Christmas Eve meal in Dalmatia.
As with any braised meat recipe, the longer it is cooked, the more flavorful and tender the meat. This technique allows you to prepare the dish in advance: it can either be kept hot on the edge of the heat or reheated.
- Wash meat and pat dry. Cut bacon into matchsticks. Chop onion and garlic.
- Cut the vegetables into small strips.
- Pierce the beef with a sharp knife at regular intervals and insert slivers of garlic into and around the meat.
- Place the beef into a large non-reactive pan; cover with the wine. Add the chopped onion, thyme, bay leaf, rosemary, pepper and cubed celery to the pan. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Heat the oil and place the beef (alone) into the pan with the oil. Brown the meat briskly and remove from the pan.
- Add the contents from the marinade to the oil and fry briskly. Add the browned meat, peeled tomatoes, prunes and remaining ingredients to the pan.
- Mix well and cook for 2-3 hours, reducing the heat to a simmer after it comes to an initial boil.
- Remove the meat and slice. Strain the juice from pan and serve as sauce.
Photo: Oregon Beef Council
Hints & Tips