Djerbian Rice (rouz jerbi) Recipe
Flavors of Tunisia
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
For 4 servings
- 300 g (10 oz.) Basmati rice
- 400-500 g (1 lb.) lamb, preferably shoulder, easy to cut up
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 or 5 green onions, cut into strips about 2 cm long
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch baby spinach, chopped
- a few chard stalks, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. harissa
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. ground coriander
- a good amount of ground dried mint
- 3-4 Tbsp. olive oil
- Heat some water in the bottom section of a couscous pot.
- Dilute the harissa and tomato paste in a little water.
- Cut the lamb into cubes.
- In a large pot, place the meat, rice and chopped vegetables (spinach, parsley, chard, onion and shallot).
- Add the coriander, mint, crushed garlic, tomato paste, harissa and olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper. Combine everything well and place in the top part of the couscous pot.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the rice and meat are cooked.
- Drizzle with olive oil and a little water if the mixture seems a bit dry.
More recipe ideas
A recipe in special collaboration with Neyla Chehimi
Hints & Tips