Resting time: 1 hour + 2 hours + 30 + 30 minutes
For those who want to experience the spirit of the Viennese "Fasching," or carnival, here is a recipe for the delicious dessert called "Carnival Doughnuts" (Faschingskrapfen), so named because they are an essential component of carnival season in February.
- Dissolve the yeast in the cold milk; add the salt and mix. Let rest for 1 hour.
- Beat the butter with the powdered sugar and vanilla sugar until the mixture is creamy, then beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the flour, yeast mixture, rum, vinegar and 100 ml cold milk. Mix gently to form a fairly soft dough.
- Cover and let rise in a cool place until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
Cooking and finishing
- On a floured work surface, divide the dough into 18-20 smooth balls. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil to 165-170° C (330-340° F) maximum.
- Carefully place the doughnuts into the hot oil, upper part down, and cover.
- Once the upper part is nicely browned, turn the doughnuts and brown the lower side, then recook the upper part briefly.
- Fill the doughnuts with apricot jam using a piping bag. Sprinkle them with icing sugar. Let rest 30 minutes before serving.
Hints & Tips