Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
In the 18th century, the emergence of pastry cooks who succeeded traditional bread bakers, as well as the invention of puff pastry, led to the creation of flaky pithiviers. The original cake in its "fondant" version dated back to Gallic times. Read the history.
- Combine the finely ground almonds with the sugar.
- Blend in the softened butter to form a paste.
- Mix in the eggs, one at a time. Mix until well-combined.
- Add the rum and vanilla.
- Cover one puff pastry circle with this filling.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with water and place the other puff pastry circle on top.
- Seal the edges by pressing with your finger and incising both thicknesses with the tip of a paring knife.
- Glaze with beaten egg and create a wheat spike or spiral decoration with the knife tip.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then glaze again and bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 200° C (400° F) for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Hints & Tips