Fricandeaux à la vaudoise, Stuffed Beef Rolls Recipe
The Cuisine of Vaud
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
For 4 servings
- 8 thin slices of beef, tenderized by the butcher
- 8 thin slices of bacon
- kitchen string
- butter for roasting
- 20 g (5 Tbsp.) bread crumbs
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 70 g (2 1/2 oz.) white mushrooms, finely chopped
- butter for cooking
- 70 g (2 1/2 oz.) ham, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 100 ml (6 Tbsp.) red wine
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) chicken stock
- 50 ml (3 Tbsp.) cream
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch of chives, finely chopped
- Stuffing: cook the shallots, mushrooms and breadcrumbs in butter; cool. Combine the ham, mustard and egg yolk. Mix into the mushroom mixture; season.
- Place a strip of bacon on each of the beef slices. Place some of the stuffing on top. Gently fold in the edges lengthwise and form into small rolls. Fasten with a piece of string. Sauté in hot butter for about 5 minutes.
- Sauce: add the wine and stock. Cook, covered, for about 20 minutes. Remove the rolls and keep hot.
- Reduce the liquid by half, blend in the cream and correct the seasoning. Arrange the rolls on hot plates and spoon the sauce over top. Garnish with herbs.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, if desired.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips