Prep. time: 30 minutes
Waiting time: 3 hours
Baking time: Under 30 minutes
Oven temperature: 180° C (350° F)
Goumeau refers to chou pastry enriched with cream. This traditional cake ranges in size from 12-40 cm in diameter, and can weigh anywhere from 70 g to 1 kg. It combines the delicious flavors of butter, milk, sweet cream and sometimes orange flower water.
- To make the brioche dough, combine the flour, yeast, water and milk.
- Add the whole egg, salt, softened butter and sugar.
- When the dough is smooth, let it rise for 3 hours in a warm place.
- Spread the dough out on a baking sheet until very thin.
- Prepare the "goumeau": heat the milk, sugar, butter and salt together until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved.
- Add the flour, mixing well, then mix in the eggs and cream and the orange flower water if using.
- Pour the goumeau on the dough and bake for 20 minutes at 200° C (400° F).
Hints & Tips