Honey Whole Wheat and Pine Nut Bread Recipe
Total time: more than 2 hours
Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350° F
Prep. time: 30 minutes
Rising time: 1 hour
Baking time: Under an hour
For 1 loaf
- 500-625 ml (2 to 2 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) wholewheat flour
- 1 packet of instant yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) buttermilk
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) honey
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) water
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Honey for glazing
- In a large bowl, combine 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour, the whole wheat flour, the undissolved yeast, salt and ground ginger.
- Heat the buttermilk, 60 ml (1/4 cup) honey, water and butter to 50 to 55° C /120° to 130°F); add to the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Mix well and gradually add in the rest of the flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover with a cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead in the pine nuts; form into a ball; place on a parchment-lined baking sheet; cover and let rise until doubled in volume in a warm draft-free place, about 40-60 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make 4 slashes on the top of the loaf in a crosshatch pattern. Bake in a preheated 180° C (350°F) oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven. Transfer to a rack. Immediately brush with honey and let cool.
Bread machine version
- Measure out 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour, 250 ml (1 cup) wholewheat flour and add all the other ingredients. Turn the dough on to the manual/dough setting. Remove the dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface, adding more flour as necessary until the dough holds its shape without being sticky.
- Continue according to the machine directions.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips