Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F
Prep. time: 5 minutes
Resting time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 35 minutes
When it comes to Bahamian desserts, Johnny cake is a favorite, a substantial, nutmeg-flavored variation on pound cake. Its name derives from "journey cake," since it was the only food taken along by the early settlers when they headed out to sea to fish.
- Sift the dry ingredients and form a well.
- Rub the butter into the flour until the texture is fine and sandy.
- Add the eggs, nutmeg and enough water to make a firm dough.
- Knead well, then allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Gently flatten to a height of 5 cm / 2"; place on a greased baking sheet and bake in a moderate oven for approximately 35 minutes.
Hints & Tips