Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours + 6 hours to make the lamb jus + 24 hours to make the black garlic (the latter two can be prepared in advance)
- Sauté the neck of lamb; add the diced carrot and onion; sweat and then add water just to cover. Simmer for 3 hours.
- Remove the meat from the jus. Reduce the jus to a glaze, shred the meat, stem the parsley and chop it; combine everything.
- Form little sausages using a piece of plastic wrap 7 cm (3") long and 1 cm (1/2") wide; refrigerate.
- Flour the sausages, dip in beaten egg with salt and pepper, then coat in bread crumbs; fry in 180° C (350° C) oil for 2 minutes.
- Completely bone the lamb racks and trim of fat. Scrape the bones and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the bread crumbs with the flat leaf parsley; set aside.
- Sauté the lamb trimmings, add the diced onion, carrot and garlic, add the thyme and enough water just to cover.
- Cook for about 6 hours; strain, reduce until thickened; keep hot in a bain-marie.
- Prepare the filling with the listed ingredients; season; refrigerate.
- On a piece of plastic wrap, overlap the blanched zucchini slices, place the filling on top and roll up into a roll, using the plastic wrap. Refrigerate to set. Just before serving, steam at 100° C (200° F) for about 3 minutes.
- Cook the garlic in balsamic vinegar at 80° C (180° F) for about 24 hours.
- Roast the lamb racks in butter in a sauté pan then transfer to a 180° C (350° F) oven for 10 minutes for rare.
- Cut into 4 portions and roll each one in the green coating.
Finishing and presentation
- Place a green-coated lamb rack on each plate with a zucchini cannelloni. Add the lamb "candy" and a clove of black garlic.
- Serve the jus on the side.
- Garnish: lamb bone, white pansy.
Côtes de Provence - Punition 2008 - Château les Valentines.
Far from today's trendy varietals, carignan is a old Mediterranean grape with body, depth and subtlety. Planted in 1945, it is a punishment ("punition") to harvest, but not to drink, particularly when paired with tender lamb with Provençal flavors. Its flavors of crushed black currant, Sichuan pepper, garrigue and black olives resonate with the zucchini cannelloni combined with tomatoes, basil and olives. The crispy "candy" is a gourmet treat and the black garlic in balsamic vinegar brings everything into focus.
Hints & Tips