One of the finest and oldest cocktails. The Manhattan was the first cocktail that used vermouth as a modifier.
- 2 oz rye whiskey
- 1/2 oz sweet vermouth
- 2-3 dashes Angostura bitters
- maraschino cherry
- or lemon twist (see variations above)
- Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass with ice cubes.
- Stir well.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with the cherry.
- Dry Manhattan - Use a dash of dry vermouth and garnish with a lemon twist.
- Perfect Manhattan - Equal parts of sweet and dry vermouth. Garnish with a lemon twist.
- Brandy Manhattan - Replace whiskey with brandy.
- Scotch Manhattan - Replace whiskey with Scotch.
- Southern Comfort Manhattan - Replace whiskey with Southern Comfort.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips