Prep. time: 45 minutes
Marinade: 12H00 (pork) ; 15 minutes (cabbage)
Cooking time: 4H45
Recipe by Arnaud Marchand, owner/chef of Chez Boulay - Bistro Boréal since 2011 and part of the campaign Incredible Maple.
"Maple - I love its great versatility. It can be used as easily in savoury dishes as in desserts. The flavour is unique and its ability to blend with spice is surprising. The combination of maple syrup and green alder pepper is simply magical!”
- Rub pork belly with coarse salt and place in a dish.
- Add the thyme, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 150°F (300°F).
- Rinse the pork belly to remove salt and pat with a clean cloth to dry well. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté onion and celery for 3 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and reduce by half.
- Add white wine and cider vinegar, and again reduce by half.
- Add brown stock and bay leaves; bring to boil.
- Add the pork belly and garlic; cover and roast 4 hours or until the meat comes apart with a fork.
- Remove the meat and set aside on a plate.
- Filter the cooking juices through a strainer, return to the pan and reduce over medium heat until syrupy.
- Place carrots in a pan and cover with water. (Not too much water — the carrots must come out slightly al dente. Add more water as needed to finish cooking.)
- Add the butter, maple syrup, garlic, and bay leaves.
- Begin cooking over high heat. Once the liquid is completely evaporated, stir the carrots well so they become caramelized and shiny.
- Salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, garlic, parsley, and cider vinegar.
- Add the cabbage, bacon, and onion; salt and pepper.
- Mix well and leave to marinate 15 minutes in the fridge.
Serve the pork belly with the sauce, glazed carrots, and coleslaw.
Longshot Chardonnay 2017
Producted by E. & J. Gallo Winery in California, the grapes for Longshot Chardonnay were harvested at optimum ripeness during cool night temperatures to preserve the fresh fruit flavours. This Chardonnay is a bold wine with a big personality that showcase bright flavours of fresh apple and pear, layered with notes of toasted oak, caramel and a creamy, full-bodied finish.
Hints & Tips