Preheat the oven to 150° C (300° F)
Cooking time: About 45 minutes
If you prefer to make one large soufflé, allow 50-60 minutes.
These little soufflés are perfect for Sunday brunch or paired with a salad for a light meal.
- Sauté the mushrooms in the butter; drain, reserving the liquid, and set aside.
- Add the flour to the cooking juices as you would to make a roux; whisk in the milk; cook over moderate heat until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat; season with salt and pepper; add the cheese and stir until melted; stir in the mushrooms and ham.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks with the cream of tartar.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks for a few minutes.
- Pour the ham-mushoom-cheese mixture over the egg yolks and blend well.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into 6 buttered ramekins; bake in a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes - insert the tip of a knife to check for doneness, as for a cake. Be careful not to overcook, otherwise the soufflés will be dry. Serve immediately.
Photo: The Other White Meat
Hints & Tips