Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Cost: Very reasonable
Difficulty: Very easy
Mélanie Gagnon, chef of the year of Quebec's Eastern Townships in 2002, is a ball of energy. In her kitchen at the Auberge Ste. Catherine in Hatley, she loves working with rose products. During the grape harvest, she makes a Brazilian-style rose-flavored bread (pao de queijo) filled with salmon, pears and cheese. Try the exotic flavors of her rose-scented goat cheese crisp with two olives. And if you happen by during Brome Lake duck season, there will be duck with roses waiting for you!
- If necessary, wash the mushrooms in water with a touch of vinegar. Dry well in a clean cloth. Dice finely.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the garlic, shallots and mushrooms with the herbs, salt and pepper for about 8 minutes over medium heat.
- Soak the gelatin in the sparkling apple juice.
- Pour the cream into a saucepan with the sparkling apple juice and gelatin, rose syrup and cheese; simmer gently and reduce by at least half. Season to taste.
- Place the mushrooms in a rectangular pan. Pour the cream mixture over top and refrigerate overnight.
- Unmold just before serving; slice and serve with pear chutney.
Hints & Tips