Prep. time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 12 to 24 hours
Cooking time: 3 1/2 hours
Dalmatinska pasticada is a traditional Dalmatian braised beef dish. It requires some advance planning, since it needs 24 hours of marinating and over 3 hours of cooking time.
Pasticada is usually served with noodles and grated cheese.
Preparing and marinating
- Lard the beef with pieces of smoked bacon and slivers of garlic; stick in a few cloves.
- Place the meat in a fairly small dish; add vinegar to one-third of its depth. Add the lemon juice and a branch of rosemary. Marinate the meat overnight (preferably for 24 hours), turning occasionally.
- Take the meat from the marinade, drain well, and coat in flour.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp. fat and brown the meat and onions. .
- Gradually add the broth or water, then the tomato paste, prosek, sliced carrots, nutmeg and a few cloves. Simmer covered for 3 hours or until the meat is cooked and can be sliced thinly.
- Strain the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Return to the pot and cook 30 minutes longer.
Photo: Portal Trogir
Hints & Tips