Prep. time: A few minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Cooling time: 1 hour
Prepare Simple Syrup in advance and refrigerate until ready to use. The secret of a perfect lemonade is in the syrup so you do not find un-dissolved sugar on the bottom of the pitcher!
You can reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup, if desired or use sugar substitute if you are diabetic or want a low-calorie drink.
For a more refreshing summer drink, replace water by chilled soda water or sparkling water.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Boil for 5 minutes, without stirring. Sugar should be entirely dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool before using.
- In a large pitcher, combine freshly-squeezed lemon and grapefruit juice and cold Simple Syrup.
- Add water, citrus slices, strawberries cut in quarters and ice cubes; stir until well blended.
- Refrigerate approximately 50 to 60 minutes before serving.
- Serve in tall glasses over ice.
Hints & Tips