Oven temperature: 180° C (350° F)
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: About 30 minutes
Material: 5 cm (2") ring molds, 7 cm (3") high
To celebrate the autumn orachrds, a flaky apple tart with lemon curd, apples "in the air" and an old-fashioned caramel sauce.
When it comes to apples, Brittany is well-situated. The Rance Valley is rich in many varieties, particularly cider apples, but also eating apples that keep until the next year. Unfortunately, certain threatened varieties are rarely replanted.
- Make a small apple tart by rolling out 50 g (2 oz.) puff pastry into a 10 cm (4") circle.
- Peel and core 2 Golden apples, slice them thinly and arrange evenly over the pastry. Sprinkle with granulated sugar and dot with butter. Bake in a 180°C (350°F) oven.
- Bring the juice of 2 lemon to a boil in a saucepan.
- Meanwhile, beat 1 egg with 20 g (4 tsp.) of sugar in a bowl. Add 10 g (2 tsp.) custard powder. Add the lemon juice, then return to the heat and cook like a pastry cream. Remove from the pan and refrigerate.
- Peel 4 "reine des reinettes" apples and cut each into 8 wedges.
- Heat a non-stick skillet with 20 g (4 tsp.) butter and brown the apple wedges. Add 10 g (2 tsp.) sugar, the juice of a lemon and a pinch of cinnamon.
- When nicely browned, place the apple wedges into metal ring molds, 5 cm (2") in diameter and 7 cm (3") high. Finish cooking the apples in a 180° C (350° F) oven for about 10 minutes.
Last minute - caramel sauce
- Place 50 g (1/4 cup) sugar in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until browned, without letting it burn.
- Add 10 g (2 tsp.) butter and 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) cream. Boil the sauce for 1 minute.
- Cut the Granny Smith apples into thin slices, leaving the skin on.
- Cut the Starkinson apples into 2 mm (1/16") matchsticks.
- On the edge of the plate, place a spoonful of lemon curd, then arrange the sliced and matchstick apples attractively, giving them as much volume as possible.
- Sprinkle with a few walnut pieces.
- Cut the apple tart and place a piece on each plate, as well as one of the baked apple cakes.
- Pour some caramel sauce around the perimeter and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Hints & Tips