Prep. time: 10 minutes
Rising time: More than 2 hours
Baking time: 45-60 minutes
The Provençal sweet bread known as "pompe à l'huile" is a relative of fougasse: a kind of round, flattened cake made with fine flour, good olive oil, sugar and orange flower water. Some bakers use brown sugar instead of white.
- Combine 200 g (7 oz.) flour with the yeast dissolved in warm water.
- Let rise in a warm place.
- Knead this mixture with the remaining flour, oil and orange flower water.
- Let the dough rise for 2 hours at a temperature above 20° C.
- When the dough is risen, place it on a lightly oiled baking sheet and flatten it into a fairly thick disk.
- Make 3 or 4 slashes in the dough.
- Bake in a hot oven for 45-60 minutes, until nicely risen and golden.
Hints & Tips