Prep. time: 50 minutes
Cooking time: None
Cooling time: 2 hours
Waiting time: Ideally 2 to 3 days
The original version of this recipe is made with egg yolks and butter. This recipe leaves them out, substituting gelatine to stabilize the cream.
The cake improves if left to "age" for 2-3 days in the refrigerator to develop its flavors.
It should be kept cold until served.
- Prepare the strong coffee and let cool to lukewarm.
- Soften the gelatine sheets in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Whip the liquid crème fraîche (except for 30 ml/2 Tbsp. which you will need to reserve for step 4) and gradually add in the sugar.
- Squeeze out the gelatine sheets and warm them in the reserved 30 ml/2 Tbsp. cream over low heat. Stir to dissolve and let cool.
- Gently fold the dissolved gelatine into the whipped cream.
- In a round cake tin, arrange a layer of cookies in the shape of a flower, using 6 to form a circle and one in the center.
- Cover with a layer of cream.
- Continue the layering until all the cookies are used up.
- Cover the top with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped nuts and crumbled cookies.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Hints & Tips