Cooking time: 12 to 15 minutes
(1) Amaretti biscuits can be purchased in either the cookie or the ethnic foods section of most grocery stores. Otherwise use speculoos or ladyfingers.
(2) Lemon curd is a typical English filling. You can use this recipe and reduce the quantities, or prepare the whole recipe, in which case divide the remaining curd among 12 little glasses and serve with the tarts - very trendy. Lemon curd is also sold in jars in some supermarkets.
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C. Place tart shells on a cookie sheet.
- In a medium bowl, place the California prunes, mixed peel and dried cranberries and sprinkle with orange juice.
- Crush coarsely Amaretti biscuits; divide between the 12 tarts.
- Top with prune mixture.
- Spoon a small amount of lemon curd over each tart.
- If making fresh pastry, top each tart with a little pastry shape.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the pastry is golden.
- Remove from oven and cool in tins on a rack.
Remove tarts from tins and serve with a dollop of whipping cream or ice cream.
Photo & collaboration: California Dried Plum Board
Hints & Tips