Individual Spiced Pumpkin Flans Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Prep. time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
This dessert can also be prepared in a single 26 cm round pan. In this case, allow 75 minutes cooking time.
For 8 servings
- 500 g European pumpkin
- 400 ml milk
- 150 g (brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 3 eggs
- 20 g butter
- Peel the pumpkin, removing the rind, fibers and seeds.
- Cut the flesh into small pieces and steam or cook in a saucepan with very little water until tender.
- Drain well and purée.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C / 350° F. Butter 8 individual ramekins.
- Pour the milk into a large bowl. Add the sugar, salt, cinnamon and ginger and combine well, then stir in the finely grated zest of a washed orange.
- Beat the eggs; add them to the bowl and mix.
- Add the pumpkin purée and combine thoroughly; you can also put everything into a food processor, including the drained pumpkin, and blend for a few seconds.
- Pour the mixture into the 8 ramekins.
- Place on the middle oven rack and bake for 40 minutes, until the flans are set in the centre.
- Cool to lukewarm or chill completely, as you wish, before serving.
More recipe ideas
Photo: Rina NURRA/CEDUS
Hints & Tips