Cooking time: About 1 hour 45 minutes
*If you use dry white beans, follow the recipe by soaking them overnight and then cooking them in advance for 7 hours.
- Cut each saddle (loin) in half, and place one piece on top of the other to create a piece of equal thickness. Wrap with 3 slices of prosciutto and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, sauté the diced rabbit flank meat and pancetta until browned; add the vegetables and deglaze with red wine.
- Add the raw mushrooms, demi-glace, garlic, bay leaf and clove, and simmer for about 1 hour or until the meat is very tender; add the chick peas and cook for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, sauté the prosciutto-wrapped loins over moderate heat until browned; let rest.
- Pour the flank meat, pancetta, chick pea and mushroom mixture into a deep platter, and place the hot loins, sliced into medallions, on top. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Morgon Domaine de la Chanaise 2007, Dominique Piron, France (red wine)
A recipe from Chef Danny St-Pierre of Auguste Restaurant in Sherbrooke, Quebec. After 15 years experience in the restaurant business at Derrière les Fagots in Ste. Rose, Danny St-Pierre is now co-owner of Auguste, 82, rue Wellington nord, Sherbrooke. 819 565-9559.
Hints & Tips