Prep. time: 1 hour
Resting time: 3-4 hours
Baking time: 10 minutes
Christmas in Alsace
Besides bredle, you'll also find "schwowebredle," little Schwabish almond and cinnamon cookies, "spritzbredle" and "springerle." These little melt-in-your-mouth anise cookies are made using wooden molds carved in various designs. Once the cookies are baked, they are so white and attractive that they are often hung on the Christmas tree as decorations.
- Lightly toast the cake crumbs and grind finely. Combine the sugar and baking powder with the flour.
- Mix in the butter and knead until completely absorbed.
- Add the 3 whole eggs, then the almonds, cake crumbs, cinnamon, salt, zest and eau-de-vie. Let rest for 3-4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 4-5 mm, then cut out various shapes with a cookie cutter and place on buttered baking sheets. Brush the cookies with the 2 egg yolks beaten with a little milk.
- Bake in a preheated 180°C / 350°F oven. The cookies should remain very pale.
Photo: ID 22575209 / Ekaterina Smirnova / MSCOMM
Hints & Tips