Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 10-12 minutes
Refrigeration time: 1 hour
Tip: You'll find the silver candies in the baking section of large stores. The cookies will keep for several days in a tightly closed cookie tin.
- Combine the flour, salt, icing sugar and vanilla powder in a bowl. Form a well in the centre and add the egg yolk, cream and butter (softened at room temperature and cut into pieces).
- Work the dough quickly, form into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F).
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out to a 5 mm (1/4") thickness on a floured work surface.
- Cut into various sized stars with a cookie cutter or knife.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, place the stars on top and bake in the middle of the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, slide the parchment paper and cookies onto a rack and let cool completely.
- When the stars are completely cool, make the icing. In a bowl, whisk together the egg white, icing sugar and lemon juice to form a sticky icing that is neither too thick nor too liquid.
- Remove the stars from the parchment and spread with the fondant icing using a flexible metal spatula.
- Sprinkle immediately with the silver candies and crystallized sugar before the icing hardens, pressing lightly so they stick. Let dry completely.
Hints & Tips