Soup of the Americas Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preparation time: a few minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Look at the instructions on the package of tapioca that you buy. Some tapioca requires overnight soaking in water.
For 4 servings
- 1 small red pepper
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- 750 g (1 lb. 10 oz.) fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1.5 liters (6 cups) water
- 1 bouquet garni (thyme and bay leaf)
- 1 small can of corn
- 1 small can of kidney beans
- 2 tbsp. Mexican spice
- 6 tbsp. tapioca
- Salt and pepper
- Dice the red pepper; peel and finely chop the onions and garlic, then sauté everything in a little olive oil in a pot set over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until the vegetables have colored slightly.
- Add the fresh peeled, seeded and diced tomatoes. Season.
- Add the water and bouquet garni (thyme and bay leaf).
- Bring to a boil; cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the bouquet garni and purée the soup in a blender.
- Add the corn and kidney beans along with the 2 tbsp. Mexican spice.
- Return to the boil; sprinkle in the tapioca while stirring. Cook 7 minutes. Serve hot.
More recipe ideas
Photo and collaboration: Tipiak, tapioca importers since 1830
Hints & Tips