Prep. time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 3-4 minutes
Dress to impress
Transform an already beautiful strawberry into an extraordinarily delicious work of art with flavourful filling topped by fascinator-like parmesan crisp.
Cheese filling can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept refrigerated in an airtight container.
To prepare strawberries
- Trim the leafy stem end from a strawberry and stand up on cut end.
- Starting at the tip of the strawberry, make two cuts in a cross pattern 2/3 of the way down.
- Gently open up the four strawberry sections wide enough to fit a large star piping tip.
- Repeat with remaining strawberries.
For parmesan thyme crips
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, sprinkle Parmesan in an even 1/8 inch thick layer.
- Top with thyme leaves and cracked black pepper.
- Bake in center rack for 3-4 minutes until light golden. Set aside to cool.
Garnish and finishing
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, ricotta, grated Parmesan, balsamic vinegar, thyme and pepper.
- Scrape mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe about 1 ½ tablespoons into each strawberry.
- Gently break Parmesan Thyme Crisp into small pieces and top each strawberry to garnish.
Calories: 147kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 334mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin C: 37mg.
Photo & collaboration: California Strawberry. Montage: MSCOMM
Gretchen Röehrs is an artist, designer, and art director. Her illustrations have been featured in The New York Times, Elle, Harper's Bazaar, The Guardian, and Vogue, among others.
Hints & Tips