Strawberry Ginger Jam Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Macerating time: 12 hours
Cooking time: 30 minutes
For 8 - 325 ml (12 oz.) jars
- 2.5 kg (5 1/2 lb.) flavorful strawberries
- about 2 kg (4 lb. 6 oz.) sugar
- 1 nice piece of ginger, about 100-150 g (3-5 oz.)
- 2 lemons
- Wash and hull the strawberries. If large, cut them into pieces.
- Weigh out the berries and weigh out an equivalent amount of sugar.
- Grate the ginger to obtain 4-6 Tbsp.
- Combine the grated ginger with the sugar.
- Alternate layers of strawberries and sugar in a large earthenware bowl.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Cover with a cloth and let macerate 12 hours.
- Once they have macerated, pour the mixture into a jam pot.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes, skimming at the beginning and stirring often so that the berries don't stick.
- Check the cooking point by pouring a little jam on a tilted cold plate: the jam should set instantly and not run.
- Ladle the jam into sterilized dry jars. Cover while still hot and turn upside down until completely cool.
- Label and store in a cool dark dry place.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2022. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips