Stuffed Vine Leaves - Dolmathakia me rizi Recipe
Total time: 1hr to 2hrPreparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 1/4 hours
- 250 ml (1 cup) olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) uncooked Rice
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) currants
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint or dill
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) hot water
- 30 fresh vine leaves
- 1 lemon
- Sauté the onions in a skillet in 125 ml (1/2 cup) of the olive oil and cook gently until translucent;
- add the rice and cook covered for 5 minutes. Add the other ingredients except the vine leaves, lemon and remaining 1/2 cup olive oil. Simmer for 5 minutes; let cool.
- Rinse the vine leaves in cold water; if you are using fresh leaves blanch them for 3 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water.
- Lay the leaves out, shiny side down, and place a good teaspoonful of the filling mixture in the middle of each one; fold up the leaves loosely, leaving room for the rice to expand by two or three times as it cooks;
- place all the stuffed leaves into a shallow pot. Pour the lemon juice, the remaining 125 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil and 250 ml (1 cup) hot water over top. Place a heatproof plate over the vine leaf rolls so they don't open up during cooking;
- cover and simmer over low heat for about one hour. Let cool in the pan.
- Serve as a cold first course with yogurt, or as an hors d'oeuvre with taramosalata (fish roe mousse) or lemon sauce.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips