Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: Under 30 minutes
Crumble, that delicious English dessert, is so easy to make that it falls into the category of foolproof cakes. You can make it with pears, apples or rhubarb. Here you'll find it accompanied by ice cream and an acidulated apple sauce. It's a nod to our friends across the Channel, with a wave to the nutmeg, cinnamon and mace of Granada and a tip of the hat to Jamaica.
Easy and fairly quick
You'll need four rings 10 cm (4 inches) in diameter and 3 cm (1 1/4 inches) high.
Make the spice mix
- grind together the cinnamon stick with the 15 ml (1 tbsp.) each of mace, nutmeg, coriander and allspice.
Make the ice cream
- heat the milk in a saucepan with the 1/2 vanilla bean split lengthwise, scraping the seeds into the milk.
- Beat the 3 egg yolks and 50 g (2 oz.) sugar in a bowl until smooth and light in colour. Blend in the boiling milk. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook until it coats a spoon, stirring with a wooden spatula. Be sure not to boil the custard.
- Off the heat, add the spice mixture and the heavy cream. Set aside in the refrigerator. Once it has cooled, churn in an ice cream maker. Set aside in the freezer.
For the crumble
- For the crumble mixture: in a bowl, combine the flour, chopped almonds, pinch of salt and 50 g (2 oz.) brown sugar. Mix well and add the melted butter.
- Mix with your fingertips until crumbs form, then set aside in the refrigerator.
- Peel the apples and cut into small dice. Place in a saucepan with 50 g (2 oz.) sugar, the juice of 1 lemon and 3 g (1/2 tsp) ground cinnamon.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then pour the apple mixture into the rings. Fill them 7/8 full and top with the crumble mixture.
- Bake in a 180° C (350° F) oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the apple sauce: in a saucepan, heat 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) sugar, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- When it turns golden, add the juice of 1 lemon and the apple juice. Boil for 1 minute. Set aside, keeping it warm.
- To serve, once the crumbles are cooked, place them on plates with a spoonful of apple sauce and a scoop of spiced ice cream.
Hints & Tips