Cooking time: 6-8 minutes
The cooking time is extremely important if you want tender flavorful steak.
The teriyaki sauce in this recipe is prepared directly in the pan. Since the sake should flavor the meat before the other ingredients, we don't recommend buying a pre-made sauce.
The steak is sliced to allow it to be eaten with chopsticks. A bowl of white rice is served on the side.
- season the steak on both sides with salt, which will draw out the meat juices;
- add a little oil to a hot skillet;
- brown the steak over high heat for 3 minutes;
- turn the meat (only once) and brown the other side for 1 minute;
- sprinkle with sake; cover and cook 2 minutes longer; remove from the skillet and set aside;
- deglaze the skillet with mirin and soy sauce; once the sauce is simmering
- return the steak to the pan and cook 20 seconds on each side;
- remove; slice against the grain into 1.5 cm (1/2") thick strips;
- transfer to a plate; brush on the teriyaki sauce remaining in the skillet;
- garnish with a spoonful of Japanese mustard (powder combined with a little water).
Hints & Tips