Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Lemon grass is a traditional ingredient in southeast Asian cooking. Thai and Vietnamese cooks often use dried lemon grass leaves in marinades for meat or fish. They also have a tenderizing property.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips; place them in a dish and pour the marinade over top. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Cook the vermicelli in boiling water according to the package directions.
- Peel the cucumber; seed it using a small spoon; cut the flesh into small cubes.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a wok; sauté the bean sprouts for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, nuoc mam, cilantro and drained noodles. Keep hot.
- Wipe out the wok with a paper towel so that you can use it again right away. Heat 1 tbsp. oil; sauté the drained chicken strips for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the diced cucumber to the vermicelli. Serve immediately.
Collaboration and photo: Suzi Wan - Essential Chinese products available in major grocery stores, including Thai marinade, vermicelli, bean sprouts and nuoc mam.
Hints & Tips