Preparation time: 15 minutes
Refrigeration time: 3 hours
Cooking time: None
This recipe invented in the Venice region has become a classic of the Italian dessert repertoire. It consists of savoiardi (ladyfinger biscuits), stacked and layered with mascarpone cheese and flavored with strong coffee.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is pale;
- add the mascarpone and mix well;
- beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold them into the mixture;
- dip the ladyfinger biscuits into the strong coffee and arrange a layer of them in the bottom of a serving bowl or in small individual cups;
- cover with a layer of the mascarpone mixture; place another layer of coffee-soaked biscuits on top and cover with another layer of the mascarpone mixture;
- refrigerate for at least three hours; serve cold, sprinkled with cocoa powder.
Hints & Tips