Tomatoes Stuffed with Smoked Salmon Recipe
Total time: 1hr to 2hrPreparation time: 10 minutes
Refrigeration time: 1 hour
Cooking time: None
Serve 2 tomatoes per person with a mesclun or mixed green salad for a refreshing first course.
Dip the tomatoes into boiling water for 10 seconds and refresh them immediately in ice water in order to remove the skins easily before stuffing them.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 8 medium Tomatoes
- 300 g (10 oz.) Smoked salmon
- 125 - 200 ml (1/2 to 3/4 cup) whipping cream
- 250 g (9 oz.) cream cheese
- A small bunch of dill
- Salt and pepper
- Remove the stem ends from the tomatoes; cut off the tops with a sharp knife;
- hollow out the tomatoes, keeping the “walls” 4-5 mm (1/4”) thick (leaving the skin on will make this easier); place in a strainer to drain;
- purée the smoked salmon in a blender with the cream and cream cheese to make a smooth creamy mixture; if the mixture is too thick, thin with a little cream;
- chop the dill finely to obtain 1 tbsp.; blend into the cream cheese mixture;
- using a piping bag or a spoon, fill the tomatoes with the mixture;
- garnish each tomato with a sprig of dill or two chives; refrigerate;
- cut the flesh of the tomatoes very finely; season with salt and pepper; refrigerate;
- just before serving place 2 tomatoes on each plate with a little salad and the diced tomato as a garnish; drizzle with oil.
Thierry Daraize suggests an Alsatian Gewurztraminer Steinert 1997 - Alsace Grand Cru
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips